Things to Do
There is lots to do in Murcia and on the Costa Calida.
PLACES TO GO:
This list is by no means exhaustive but might give you an idea of what to do when you’re not playing golf or sunning yourself on the beach.
Cartagena – 30 km
Historic naval port once blockaded by Nelson. Nice city centre.
Shopping street in some beautifully preserved old buildings – and some amazing huge rubber trees.
There are also the Roman ruins to have a wander round with a great tapas bar situated in the Roman wall.
Torrevieja – 35 km
Major holiday resort 30 minutes drive North. Large Aqua Park and lots for children of all ages to do.
La Manga del Mar Menor – 40 km
See it to believe it! A unique location in Europe, a strip of land 22 km long and 300m wide.
Murcia – 45 km
Regional capital city with fantastic buildings.
Great for a cultural day out plus there are some good eating places to find.
Places to see include the Cathedral, Roman Theatre (built at the northern end of the Arab city wall), the Bishop’s Palace and numerous beautiful churches.
There is also a large theme park – Terra Natura and Aqua Natura – a zoo and water park combined.
Nature Reserve – 10 km
The Natural Park of San Pedro del Pinatar is a great place to go for bird watching.
There is also a Centre of Marine Interpretation right by the wild, fine sandy beach of the Mediterranean Sea. Makes for a quiet, relaxing day.
Inland Mountains – 80 km, approx 1 hour drive
The Sierra Espuña contains Murcia’s largest area of forest, as well as being an area of outstanding natural beauty. The Espuña and Ricote ranges are great for walking and rock climbing and the area is steeped in local tradition and culture. The district is also known for its pottery, and Totana is Spain’s second most important area for pottery production.
PLACES TO SHOP:
Typical of Spain, there are shops and street markets all over the place. You’ll find a street market somewhere every day.
But for those in need of serious retail therapy try one of these large indoor shopping malls.
San Javier: “Dos Mares”
Large centre with clothing, restaurants and 10-pin bowling alley plus a large supermarket (the only supermarket in the area that is open 365 days a year)
Cartagena: “El Corte Inglés” and “Parque Mediterráneo“
Murcia: “El Corte Inglés”, “Nueva Condomina” and “Thader”
For the serious shopping fashionistas, there are two Centro Commercials close to Murcia, which are easily accessible via the motorway and within a 45 minute drive:
The Thader Centre is wall to wall clothing stores ranging from well known high street names ` such as Mango, Zara, C&A to exclusive little boutiques. There are also various other retail outlets including sports shops and Ikea.
Nueva Condomina is the other side of the motorway and, as the largest shopping mall in Europe, it boasts 200 shops and a fantastic range of bars & restaurants – an absolute must for shopaholics.
Much nearer to Roda there is also
La Zenia: “Zenia Boulevard” – opened in 2013 this large centre has some some fantastic fashion outlets
– from small boutiques to well known names like Primark and C&A.
SPORTING AND OTHER ACTIVITIES:
There are all manner of water sports that you can have a go at in the Mar Menor including yachting, dinghy and catamaran sailing, snorkelling, scuba diving, kite surfing, wind surfing, fishing, kayaking and loads more.
Instruction available locally for novices to experts.
- In Los Alcázares you’ll find the headquarters of the Estación Náutica del Mar Menor – this is part of the Spanish Association
of Water Sports Resorts. They can also arrange horse riding and quad biking.
- Also in Los Alcázares you’ll find a kite school, diving centre, yacht charter and much more.
- In Santiago de Ribera there is Yacht Club and sailing school (Escuela de Piragüismo), both located on the main promenade.
- In Mar de Crystal you’ll find the Pro-vela sailing academy who can offer great summer activities and daily academies for kids.
- For the football fans the Nueva Condomina is side by side with the new 32,000 seater football stadium home to Spanish second division team Real Murcia. Watch a game whilst the family go for some retail therapy in the Nueva Condomina.
Information on some other activites is contained in our Visitor Guide and is freely available from the Tourist Information Office (located in 525/Balneario Plaza)
There is also a selection of activities that can be booked at Reception on the Resort (including sailing).
Activities in the area include:
- Ten-pin bowling (Dos Mares shopping centre)
- Cycling (Several bike hire shops in El Balneario Centre)
- Tennis (Los Narejos)
- Gym / Fitness Room (On site and also in Los Narejos)
- Sports Centre – with fitness room (Los Alcázares)
- Go Karting (10 minutes drive from the apartment near the old airport)
- Crazy Golf & Mini Golf (Los Alcázares just south of the old town)
- Cinema – showing films in English (Pilar de la Horadada)
- Pony Trekking (Near La Manga Golf Club)
- Paint Balling (Near Campoamor Golf Club)
- Quad Biking (Pedrera)